Saturday, March 19, 2016

Jonah and Noah

Jonah: Hi, Noah. What are ya doing there?

Noah: Getting some gopher… wood for completion of the ark I’m building. And you?

Jonah: Ark, boat, ship… I don’t even want to hear anything about it. (Says to himself: You will never find out how I’ve been thrown out of one of those). And what is the ark for?

Noah: I guess it’s for those who wants to come in when the flood comes. Never seen the flood come yet, but this is what God told me. You look kind of messy, where have you been? Would you like to come into the ark, too?

Jonah: Ugh… I’m all right. Just some jelly… I mean fish belly and stuff. (Good, he doesn’t know anything about me.) [Chuckles] I’ve got some job to do… yeah, some preaching! (Muttering to himself "To these filthy Ninevites")

Noah: Preaching? I like that job too. I do it a bit too whenever I find time.

Jonah: Really? I didn’t know that. What are you preaching on?

Noah: Oh, righteousness, of course (2 Peter 2:5). I invite everyone…that whoever wants to come in to the ark may come in before the flood comes. And you, what are you preaching on and for how long?

Jonah: Oh, about destruction and judgment these past forty days. So, how many have come into the ark?

Noah: (sadly) No one yet, besides my family. These 100 years I’ve been doing this, and I don’t know why no one would believe and be saved. How I wish they are saved. (sighs) What about you? Any results?

Jonah: (sadly) Drat. Oh, every one of them have turned. From the king to the pauper. Everyone. How I wish they were destroyed. I am waiting to see the end of this wicked nation and God is being merciful.

Noah: Hey, hold on. No one can be that bad they cannot be saved. Shouldn’t you be glad that God is indeed gracious. He saves the wretched sinner as well as the pious preacher!

Jonah: But see here, I am good. I want my people to prosper. Why should I care about my enemies? This is why I ran away, took a ship to Tarshish and here now… all because of that wretched storm… and fish… and three days and three nights… and the prayer! O and now this hot sun… and the wretched insect…

Jesus: Hey Jonah! Here’s the shade you are looking for. The cross… This is what Noah is talking about. This is the ark where God’s judgment fell on me… The blood that is shed is the forever sacrifice that protects those inside the ark. Just as Noah found GRACE in the eyes of the LORD (Gen 6: 8), you too can. Just as Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him as righteousness (Gen. 15: 6, Rom. 4: 3, Gal. 3: 6, James 2: 23), you can be righteous, too. Do you believe Me?

Jonah: *Speechless*

Noah: Hey, Jonah! Don't you know that you can have the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, because all have sinned and fallen short of God's glory. There is none righteous, no not one. And no one can be saved by their own righteousness. They have to come into the ark - the CROSS of Jesus.

Jesus: I have lived, I have died your death and now behold I am alive forevermore!
 
Noah: Would you come into the ark? It is FINISHED!

Jonah nods, and goes with Noah.



Now my question: Where are the Noahs today?
 
"And as it was in the in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man:" - Luke 17:26.

Jesus second coming is near. We hear this almost everyday in Christian circles somewhere. But, really? Show me the Noahs first; aren't we more familiar with Jonahs in the pulpit?

But show me the Noahs – those who preach righteousness (by faith) in Jesus and the finished work (ark) on the cross.

Yes? Then I know, Jesus is coming.

Amen. Come Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

See! Made Without Hands!

It is in my heart to share about 2 things today. One is that this extended lockdown is getting on the nerves of many who have lost jobs, ma...